What You Can Do with A Wheatgrass Juicer and What Wheatgrass Can Do to You…
Well, the mother Nature was very generous when she created wheatgrass. Who knew! Before we all discovered one of the best hidden health secrets of the world, we all thought that only cows and milk producing animals found it yummy.
Well that's not entirely true: 5000 years ago Egyptians and Mesopotamians already knew about its positive effects on their health and vitality. It in fact contains many chlorophyll, amino acids, vitamins, and enzymes like so many other plants do, but also more.
Currently there are many forms you can get into your system the goodness wheatgrass has to offer -such as tablets, powder, frozen juice-, but cooking the plant is not one of them, because heat will kill its powerful enzymes. Undoubtedly it is best to consume it fresh, especially as a fresh juice. So this is when the need for a good wheatgrass juicer comes into play.
Wheatgrass has been big part of Raw Food Diet since 1930's cleansing the body of toxins while providing a proper balance of nutrients as a whole food. Here is a short list of benefits you can get by consuming and juicing raw wheatgrass according to Hippocrates Diet:
In A Nutshell Wheatgrass Juice...
- Contains up to 70% chlorophyll, which is an important blood builder;
- Contains many other anti-aging properties: vitamins A, B complex, C and E, a full spectrum of minerals, a number of enzymes and amino acids (proteins);
- Benefits blood cells, bones, glands, kidneys, liver, spleen, muscles, teeth, hair and other body parts;
- Could be applied to skin and scalp for various skin conditions;
- Could be used to wash eyes, sinuses, and teeth;
- Is capable of protecting the lungs and blood from pollution (air as well as water), smoke, toxins and heavy metals;
- Is a safe and potent aid for weight loss because it not only suppresses appetite but also stimulates metabolism and circulation.
But above all it contains something that is called "wheatgrass juice factor" that enables to sustain life in herbivorous mammals (such as cows, goats, sheep, guinea pigs, mice etc.) keeping them alive and well through generations.
Take wheatgrass juice alone or mixed with other juices. For best results consume freshly juiced wheatgrass on an empty stomach (or half empty if you're a beginner) and zip it slowly taking a couple of minutes to finish the serving. Ann Wigmore's book The Wheatgrass Book has a ton of useful information on this miraculous plant's properties, uses, exceptional health abilities, as well as the methods of growing it in your own garden and juicing it properly.
One pound of wheatgrass will yield six to eight ounces juice using a wheatgrass juicer. So every bit of it is very precious and you need the proper tool to extract it.
Slow-turning or Wheatgrass Juicer
You need a juicer with an extra heavy-duty motor that slowly turns a blade or twin gears inside the juicer pressing all the juices from wheatgrass but also leafy greens, sprouts and soft vegetables. Unlike the high-speed processing that oxidizes the green juices making them inferior quality in terms of nutritious values, wheatgrass juicers crush carefully and slowly greens, vegetables and fruits instead of shredding or cutting them into small pieces which will never work to obtain wheatgrass juice.
As we talked extensively in our article about masticating juicers, main distinctive characteristics of this type of juicers from blenders and centrifugal juicers are as follows:
- Speed of the motor: Much slower therefore it takes longer to produce the juice. Most have 80 or 43 RPM (Revolutions Per Minute). Omega Vertical Juicing System VSJ843R is one of the slowest ones with 43 RPM only.
- Sweeter taste, brighter and more saturated in color, less to no oxidation, and ton of more nutrition: These are the biggest differences between a masticating and a centrifugal juicer.
- Dual stage juicers: First, juice is extracted by crushing the wheatgrass, leaf, fruit or vegetable. Then, just before the pulp is ejected (automated process), the pulp is squeezed during the second pressed stage resulting in a higher yield of juice and a very dry pulp.
- Noise of the motor: Since it's a slower motor the noise is usually not a concern, plus there are also "silent" or "low noise" type wheatgrass juicers on the market too (such as Kuvings Silent Juicer NS-750).
- Size: Although traditional slow-turning juicers have a horizontal footprint and they tend to have a sturdier base with an overall heavier look, in recent years many compact, upright (or vertical) and modern looking models have been manufactured (such as Hurom Hu-100, Jay Kordich Pro Power Juicer).
- Versatility of what you can do with them: This is an important point which will make you fall in love even more with your wheatgrass juicer. These versatile juicers can create baby foods, nut butters, and can grind coffee, flour and beans. Some models can extrude spaghetti or breadsticks with a special pasta nozzle like Omega Juicer 8006.
- Clean-up time: Do not underestimate it. The screen, along with other pieces, inside the juicer needs to be cleaned (usually with a brush) right away otherwise the holes will get clogged and plastic pieces might get stained. Some wheatgrass juicers are easier to clean due to smaller screens and fewer inside pieces such as Omega Juicer 8006.
- Price tag: There are very high end products that cost over $1000 and they are just fabulous. But I am happy to announce that most of the high-end wheatgrass juicers are way less expensive than high-end centrifugal juicers. If you will be juicing daily even the most expensive juicers will pay off in a short amount of time.
- Warranty: Slow-turning juicers come with longer warranty periods compare to blenders and other types of juicers. With long guarantees a $300 juicer will cost only $20 to $30/year. Some even carry a lifetime guarantee.
Best Wheatgrass Juicer
Before we reveal our verdict all the way at the end let's quickly examine what most noteworthy juicers can offer for our wheatgrass juicing needs.
Omega Juicer 8006
There is a good reason why it is called Nutrition Center. This extra-efficient and multi-purpose juicer is capable of juicing not only wheatgrass but also leafy greens, all sorts of vegetables, soft, hard and citrus fruits. So one package covers that all for you. But it can also make nut butters, baby food, pasta, smoothies, grind coffee, beans and flour. This is the #1 selling wheatgrass juicer on Amazon, and for all good reasons.
It operates at 80 RPM making it slow and ideal to extract most of the juice from your produce. For what it can do it's a compact machine not occupying a lot of counter top space.
And for what it can do it's quite reasonably priced. And almost all the users are extremely happy with it!
- Quiet operation and long life
- Easy to assemble, use and clean
- Auto pulp ejection, single gear extraction, dual-stage juicing system, heavy duty construction
- 15 year guarantee
- BONUS - Organic Wheatgrass Kit inluding 5 Growing Trays, seeds, organic soil, and a book
- Dimensions: 14.5" x 6.5" x 15.5"
- Like almost all masticating juicers, soft fruits are not very efficient to juice
- Feed chute is not very big requiring some cutting and piecing the veggies and fruits
- The cup is not quite big enough to hold the juice if you're making for 2 or 3
- Plastic pieces such as output cups might stain from green veggies or beet if not cleaned immediately or properly
Green Star Juicer
Tribest Green Star Elite GSE-5000 Jumbo Twin Gear Juice Extractor is a double auger juicer that feed wheatgrass and leafy greens very well. Juicers know that usually it's not easy to juice greens continuously and they should be alternated with firm produce like carrots, celery, radishes, apples, etc. But not with this juicer. It will pull them in between its two augers (although you will still need to push the hard veggies in, like carrots). This one also works as food mill making baby foods, sorbets, smoothies and nut butters.
It functions with a complete mastication system that operates three processes: slicing, cutting and crushing just like the human teeth. But in addition it also introduces a forth stage that is mixing where juice gets mixed with the broken down produce to interact and activate therefore to extract better nutritional value.
- Produces a great volume of juice per amount of produce
- 12 year guarantee
- Pressure adjustment mechanism and automatic pulp ejection system
- Dimensions: 19" x 6.5" x 12.5"
Omega Vert Juicer
Omega VRT350 despite its small foot print it is a heavy duty slow juicer. It is also one of the newest vertical juicers on the market. This one is also a dual stage juicer meaning that it extracts the juice by crushing the fruits and vegetables, and then before the pulp is ejected automatically it's squeezed during the second pressed stage, so when it's finally discarded it is a very dry pulp.
It has on and off settings in addition to reverse button to unclog something stuck inside the juicer. There are many customers who make full use of it, but unfortunately not all users are happy campers!
- Easy set-up, easy disassemble to clean
- Vertical design allows feeding the juicer through the chute without cutting or chopping for some vegetables
- Self cleaning feature
- Juicing leafy greens as well as soft fruits
- 10 year guarantee
- Quiet operation
- Dimensions: 15.5" x 7" x 8.5"
- Weight: 22 pounds
Most Super Angel models went trough a significant upgrade in 2015, and Deluxe is one of them. For the most part, this juicer will get you about 95 percent or more of the amount of food inserted. The automatically ejected pulp comes out super dry giving you anywhere from 20 to 30% more juice from the same foods than other juicers.
Deluxe model is between standard Pro and Premium Deluxe models and as a plus its package includes Soft Fruit Extracting Housing Attachment that you will just love. All Super Angels include a free juicing recipe book "Juicing Bible", a free scrubbing bristle "premium brush", a free glass jar to collect juice "pyrex cup".
Super Angel Deluxe
The Super Angel is by far the most efficient juicer for just about everything and cleanup is faster than other juicers.
Super Angel brand is one of the two juicer brands that have stainless steel internal pieces, so once you own one you can keep it until eternity. Like all the other Super Angel juicers Deluxe will also juice almost anything from carrot and apples to wheatgrass and spinach, to soy beans. It will also make nut butters, prepare smoothies and frozen fruit sorbets and much much more.
Most slow juicers run with a 2.2 horse power motor, but not Super Angel juicers. Their motor is much more powerful (3 HP) making the juicing a breeze for every one. It is an automatic self controlling motor with thermal sensor.
- All stainless steel, no plastic parts (including twin gears)
- Easy to operate and easy to clean
- 3 HP grinding force with slow speed of 86 rpm
- 3-stage twin gear system & 3-stage screen system
- Juicing leafy greens as well as soft fruits
- 10 year guarantee
- Quiet operation
- Dimensions: 19.5" x 7.8" x 10.5"
- Weight: 20 pounds
Hurom Slow Juicer
Hurom Slow Juicer Elite is newer than Hurom HU-100 and yields more juice with less waste with its improved twin-winged auger that masticates and squeezes greens, fruits and vegetables more evenly and thoroughly than previous Hurom models.
This is a "second generation" juicer so it is slower in its crushing (43 RPM), the auger has two blades and the tolerances between the auger and the strainer basket are less preventing the pulp and foam ending up in the juice.
It comes with a colorful recipe book to help yo get started if you're a novice, but also to get you inspired even more if you're already a pro.
- No pulp and no foam
- Easy to set-up, clean and reassemble
- Auto pulp ejection feature
- Advanced self-cleaning feature
- 10 year guarantee on the motor, 1 year warranty on the parts
- Quiet operation
- Two strainers (coarse and fine)
- Dimensions: 9.8" x 6.7" x 15.6"
- Weight: 13.6 pounds
Verdict on Which Wheatgrass Juicer to Chose
This is not an easy answer because there are many components you have to satisfy when you're in the market to pick the best wheatgrass juicer. You could be a first time juicer to see if you will really make juicing your way of living. Or you're already a serious juicer who used many of these machines in the past, with high expectations in his next machine. Your juicing needs and frequency will play a major role too. Furthermore your budget will define your limits of investment in this important piece of kitchen equipment. The other points that are minor --or shouldn't be big time game changers from my point of view-- but are equally important for your every day use include: size and footprint, ease of set-up and use, time required to prep the produce, ease of maintaining and cleaning, and noise level of operation.
If you can invest twin gear juicers will deliver better nutritional value than masticating juicers that have only dual stage operation. They will simply extract more juice out of anything you put in them, not only making juicing very beneficial for you but also helping you to save in the long run.
You want to invest on this useful tool in order get the best out of your juicing efforts. Most of them come with long warranties for the motor but not for the parts. And most juicers having plastic inner pieces are prone to the wear-and-tear with time.
Although most masticating juicers will not do a superb job with soft fruits, most of these will crush the vegetables, leafy greens and wheatgrass efficiently. However some might have clogging issues which could be largely eliminated by cutting the produce into small pieces.
This is an important one. Most of high-end masticating juicers are not more expensive than high-end centrifugal juicers, but when you talk about twin gear juicers the price leap can be considerable, especially if you have your eyes on a juicer with stainless steel inner parts (a.k.a. Super Angel juicers).
Omega Juicer 8006: It's an efficient and well built juicer that is not very expensive (its discounted price is below $300 on Amazon+free shipping --or 2-day shipping with Prime).
Green Star Juicer: This is an affordable "twin gear" juicer with very happy users. It's more expensive than most high-end masticating juicers but worthwhile to have it if you can afford it (its discounted price is a little above $500 on Amazon+free shipping --or 2-day shipping with Prime).
Super Angel Juicer: This is one of the best machines you can get if you can afford it. We totally shift to a 4-digit price, but it's so worth it. You won't need to replace it with any other juicer in your life time. There are many models Super Angel carries and they all come with different price points. The one that I recommend is Deluxe which includes a Soft Fruit Extracting Housing Attachment that will come very handy. It's sold for below $1500 on Amazon with free shipping.
Why not others?
Although all the other juicers we examined in this article are all wonderful products with very happy long time users, I feel like the ones I'd picked based on different price points are the best. For instance although many serious juicers I know use happily Omega Vert Juicer, I also hear so many others complaint about clogging and such. Hurom products are very good too but if you'd like to pay for Hurom slow juicer (Elite) that much money, I would rather pay a little bit more and get the Green Star Juicer. If you have your eyes on Hurom H-100 however, go for it. It's in a different price point and it's totally worth it.
I hope this is helpful for your next adventure with the new juicer of your dreams. Happy juicing!